Tuesday 20 July 2010

The Rocky Road

rockyroad In yet another tangent in this blog, this time I’m going to talk about bases. Before you disappear, please bear with me.

Normally I use citadel sand and bits of slate to cover my bases, however in keeping with the steam-fantasy theme of my new Cygnar army (that’s a Warmachine faction in case you haven’t been paying attention) I wanted a paved effect.

circlecutter As I’m far too lazy (read: unskilled) to sculpt this in green stuff, I opted to use some textured plasticard bought out of a local Model Shop. Great, however Warmachine models are based on round bases, not square ones; and I can barely cut a straight line with a pair of scissors at the best of times (I’m even quite rubbish with left handed scissors).

baseinsert So the next problem was to cut a reasonable circle. Enter the compass cutter pictured here, a fantastic little device that with a bit of practice, and set to 24mm diameter, cuts perfectly sized inserts for 30mm rounded bases.

Problem solved and I have some nice paved effect bases!

The other use for the compass cutter (and in fairness, why I bought it in the first place) is for cutting normal plasticard for my eldar bases where I’m after a broken wraithbone effect. These take a little longer because I am scoring a pattern into the plasticard, however the theory is much the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment